Monday, April 6, 2009

Listening to Your Inner Voice

For about a week now I have awaken at 4am to find myself thinking of my “to do list”. I then lie there tossing and turning not wanting to face the daunting list:

The house needs to be packed, don’t forget to cancel the cable bill and bring home that bubblewrap. Thomas needs new shoes, order them from the website he loves so much – oh, and call the specialist for his possible surgery. He is graduating from preschool in seven weeks – don’t forget to email his teacher the photos for the slideshow. Do I plan a graduation party? Go grocery shopping, we are totally out of everything. Plan a yard sale, return 15 phone calls, find a house, study AGAIN for the license, only this time the Series 7, make amends with your sister, submit your application for Graduate school, and somewhere between now and the end of the day … develop a five year plan and gain some direction in life.

And that is just the before 10am to-do list …

Life happens, and most of the time in a very overwhelming capacity. We seek refuge in denial, resistance, and disregard. At some point though, we become face to face with life. We may not want to deal with the facts, but none-the-less they are at our doors waiting for our response. The response we give is indeed a choice we must make. Nevertheless, we need to remember that for every action there is a reaction, for every cause an effect, and for every decision an outcome.

So now what? Do you run out and exhaust yourself trying to wrap up lose ends, tackle projects, and cross off line items in your attempt to accomplish your never ending to do lists? You take off your rose colored glasses long enough to let in life; for some, we are quick to put them back on for reality is too much to handle. For others, we leave them off with a carefree persona to our walk. If only there was a middle ground you say? In fact, there is. The middle is a place where we alter between the two balances. We are aware that not everything needs to be accomplished at an alarming rate, and not everything needs to be taken so casually. As we find balance in our to-do lists, we create an ambience of peace within ourselves that shows in other facets of our lives.

Did you know that our conscious minds are only doing about 10% of our thinking, while our sub and unconscious composes the other 90%? This little factoid brings me back around to why I am waking up at 4am. Those EARLY morning wake-up alarms are not replacing the rooster’s cock-a-doodle-doo coming on to assist me in being more productive throughout the day. They serve a purpose of reminding me that I have taken on too much, or not dealt well enough, or perhaps – just maybe – that I need to delegate, or lighten my plate, or re-organize my schedule. Humorous to think that our subconscious knows more than our conscious; knows what we need, knows our wants, and knows our weakness and our strengths.

My question to you today is this: When is the last time you truly listened to your Subconscious? I mean, truly listened? When did you stop and take notice. How often do you not only cut the grass, but stop and smell the roses blooming in the back yard? You read my column for a reason – you are in search of more in your lives. I can think of no better way than to ask and DEMAND answers to some tough questions … questions whose answers have the power of changing your life. Answers that can force you to see your to-do list of life as just a piece of paperwork (or perhaps a color-coordinated, excel spreadsheet, auto set to deliver …. What? Surely I am not the only one ..._) and not the ruling dictator of your daily play.

I have a challenge for each of you, myself included. Mediate each day on what your conscious is trying to covey to you. Then, for the remainder of the week write down one thing each day that you feel your conscious was trying to get across to you. For each item, write down how you listened to your inner self, and how you responded. Each of us are about to be surprised when faced with how well we do not listen to ourselves … but we are being given a great opportunity to finally listen to our inner voices, and respond with what we truly need. Today my conscious is telling me relax … I think I may go home and grab a nap …. The to-do list can wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment