Monday, October 19, 2009

Oh Look, a Dandelion!

Life can be overwhelming, arduous, and at times coerce you to loose focus on what matters most. What matters most – a query worthy of a Golden Globe in the category “questions on life”. As such, it would be no accident that I ask you: What truly matters most to you in your life?

Is it your Career? Success? Financial strength? Is it your Family? Friends? Significant other? The car you drive … the house you live in … the garden in the back yard? Church on Sundays? Praying? Or being in touch spiritually in any realm? How about education? Keeping in touch? Having the power / control? What about the three human basics: food, clothing and shelter? Or the three humanity given rights: life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness? Is it singing in the shower and dancing in the rain? Is it enjoying the seasons and the joy each can bring? Is it giving yourself permission to take time off? Is it living the life you can be proud of, or just living a life ….

Whoop, there it is: are you just living a life, or living a life you can be proud of? Success is measured and weighed on numerous scales; but the ending balance is what you determine to be correct. What is important to me may not very well be important to you. Constantly though, each of us struggle at times to remember that life does not have a pause button - it continues with or without us. In turn, we are either living our lives or we are living our lives....

…. And we do our damndest to complicate things, overanalyze, and ignore the warning signs don't we? We keep putting things off, say phrases such as “when x y z is complete then I can incorporate / have / make time for a b c in life …” Interesting concept, and this is just my two cents, but without a b and c, how would we even know about x y and z? We cannot appreciate or grasp the full meaning of what an alphabet holds without knowing from the start what it contains; same factor holds true in our lives. Without knowing frontwards and backwards what matters most in life, the fundamentals, we can never truly grasp the blessings that we encounter each and every day.

We live our lives as though we have endless amounts of time, as though we can have as many re-dos as necessary at our dispense – but somewhere, locked deep inside, we distinguish the truth. We hide behind excuses and apprehension, waiting for life to happen instead of taking in the truth: life is happening now ….. Life truly is as simple as blowing a dandelion and making a wish.... if only we stop long enough to pick the dandelion along our way.

As some of you have already noticed, I have been taking some time off from writing as I struggle with my own journey of stopping long enough to pick the dandelion.... Plan B gives me an outlet to breathe my deepest thoughts, but lately I have been in stir over my own happiness, neglecting to view the blessings, and in turn feeling the old phrase, “If you have nothing nice to say …..” … fueled by the winds of change, the season of cold breathing down, I have been wishing to hibernate and lock myself away from the world. It’s a part of me that I struggle with, and it’s a constant battle; but I open up to this very private side of me to hopefully reach others who are struggling too …. Struggling to find their place in the world. Struggling to appreciate the “matters most”. Struggling to live life instead of just being apart of the equation.

This week though I thought I would share with you a short little film that brightened my day, and my thoughts. This film was an inspiration to gaze at. As I listened to the rhythm of the music connect with my soul, I read the words as they appeared: “Sometimes in the winds of change, we find our true direction” - Author unknown …. “Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quite voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow.” - Mary Anne Radmacher … “The only things that stands between a person and what they want in life are the will to try it, and the faith to believe it’s possible.” – Rich Devos

I once had a friend ask me – what do you do when the pursuit is over? When your quest to happiness is complete and the void inside of you is filled? I did not have an answer then, but now as I think back to that question, as I ponder on what matters most – I believe that my void is already filled by the numerous blessings in my life. I become unhappy when I stop remembering the simple things in life that we take for granted, as I forget there is no pause button, as I neglect to live life as a teaching, learning, taking in, giving back, making way, moving forward, appreciating yesterday and not living for it kind of a life ….

As the sun shines, so may the positive light ... into your thoughts, into your feelings, and into your actions. As the clouds form, so may the inner voice … that calms your fears and encourages your pursuit. In both, may you take notice of what matters most in your life, and stop to pick a dandelion along the way … knowing you are not alone in your pursuit, for your blessings are all around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment